This is the Archive site for Firedoglake. To go to the main site please click on the following link

Saturday, December 24, 2005

A Grateful Chrismahkwanzakah

Some Marines in Iraq got to talk with family members back home via internet video conferencing hook-up. The group included a Marine who got to see his newly-born child for the first time.

During this season of giving, I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you to all those people who are putting themselves on the line for the rest of us. And to their families. I've had friends and family serving in various conflicts through the years, and it never gets any easier. For all those families who keep things going in spite of the fear and the worry and the exhaustion, I say a big thank you.

Thank you to all those diplomats serving in increasingly difficult positions around the world. Defending this Administration's foreign policy has to be a job and a half, and so many of these folks are doing so with no family because of the danger of the posting. So thank you. For everything you do to keep all of the rest of us safe.

As always, a big thank you to all the civil servants, police officers, and everyone else who works in the public interest. There are too many to mention individually, but I'm grateful to each and every one of you. Even that mean lady at the DMV who took the crap picture for my new driver's license.

I'm so grateful to all of our regular readers and commenters. The blogosphere is full of some truly decent human beings, and I'm proud to say that a whole lot of them hang out here. And especially thanks to Jane, who invited me to blog with her only a few months ago -- I'm having such a great time. Plus, it's a wonderful venue for me to vent, so my poor husband doesn't have to listen to it all the time. And for our precious child, and our foreign exchange student, I am so very thankful.

Thank you doesn't seem to say it, but it's all I have, so thanks. And Merry Chrismahkwanzakah! (Take that O'Reilly! We'll make that enemies list, yet!)