This is the Archive site for Firedoglake. To go to the main site please click on the following link
http://www.firedoglake.com

Friday, March 04, 2005

We Do Art Here in Newport




sculpture by Bill Kucha

Bill Kucha is an Oregon artist who also happens to be my art teacher. He carves breathtaking sculptures out of large blocks of stone he finds on Oregon beaches, in addition to his part-time duties pulling my bacon out of the fire when I simply do not know how to extricate myself from the mess I've made (in fact I'm sitting here right now looking at a little sketch Bill did to help me with my final project for the semester that he tossed off in 20 seconds that is better than anything I came up with after working for hours. Sigh.) Anyway, Bill has a new gallery in Portland, the Window in the Pearl, located at 425 NW 9th between Flanders and Glisan. He also has a web site where you can stop by and check out his current work, and if you ask real nicely and fill out the form on the contact page he will invite you to his annual gala exhibition in his Oregon coast garden and studio, just north of me.

This upcoming semester is going to be Bill's last one teaching for a while. I feel very fortunate because good teachers are hard to find and I feel like I've really learned a lot studying with Bill, it's been one of the best parts of my Oregon experience. I didn't know if I could find anyone who could do justice to my amazing former teacher in LA, Lisa Adams, and Bill certainly has.

And before you ask, no, his decision to take time off had nothing to do with the fact that he had me for a student. Well, I'm pretty sure anyway.

|