This is the Archive site for Firedoglake. To go to the main site please click on the following link
http://www.firedoglake.com

Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Book Meme: Wherein We All Try to Prove We Know How to Read





Who knows where it started...TBogg gave it to SteveAudio who gave to me, and Skippy argues that it isn't actually a meme at all, but that's what everyone is calling it, so here is my entry in the sweepstakes:

You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

Alan Moore's Voices of the Fire. The word "genius" is bandied around all too easily these days, but Alan Moore is the real deal, and his oft-overlooked book of short stories has an imaginative sweep that is positively breathtaking. It's a bit dark, but if we were living in time when book burning was all the rage I think it would have the appropriate tone.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Probably not since I was 12, but that would be Johnny from The Outsiders, which I think I read 20 or 30 times. Can we just say Coppolla so did not get what 12 year-old girls saw in that book?

What are you currently reading?

Striptease: The Untold History of the Girlie Show by Rachael Shtier, Property by Valerie Martin and a biography of Bonnard.

The last book you bought is:

A two-volume series of Rembrandt's Drawings and Cloud Atlas: A Novel by David Mitchell.

The last book you read:

Will in the World: How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare – Interesting but not genius.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:


1. Pema Chodron – When Things Fall Apart. -- Because Pema rocks the house.
2. The Brothers Karamozov by Fyodor Dostoyevski – I'm sure I missed quite a bit the first time around.
3. Howard Zinn – People's History of the United States. Because if I ever wind up on a desert island it'll probably be because somebody fucked up big time, and Howard will most certainly be able to reconstruct what brought me there.
4. The Book of J by Harold Bloom – some profound heresy to keep me warm at night.
5. The Complete Works of William Shakespeare – because the only chance I'll ever have of reading them is if I'm just tits-up bored to death with loads of time on my hands.

I am passing this on – meme or otherwise – to MandT at Adgita Diaries, The Disgruntled Chemist and FallenMonk, just because I know if you combine all three of them together you will have ONE DILLY of a library.

|