This is the Archive site for Firedoglake. To go to the main site please click on the following link
http://www.firedoglake.com

Sunday, July 17, 2005

That's what he does. That's all he does. You can't stop him.





Probably my favorite post of the week. Billmon asks a veteran reporter friend about his editor's experience with Patrick Fitzgerald:
"Fitzgerald is a prosecution machine," the old editor said. "When he wants somebody, he goes after them with whatever he's got. If he can't make the case he started with, he'll figure out what you did do and hit you with that. He's relentless, and he doesn't give a flying fuck about the press or the First Amendment. He'd throw us all in jail if it would help him make his case."
I'm reminded of the scene in The Terminator, where Reese -- the hero who's come back from the future to protect Sarah Connors -- tells her:
"Listen. Understand. That Terminator is out there. It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with. It doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear. And it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are dead."
Be afraid, Karl. Be very afraid.
I always go with the image of Rove wandering around in his jammies screaming "Out, damn'd spot!" myself, but the original Terminator is one of my all-time favorite films so it works for me too. With so much riding on Patrick Fitzgerald this point, I find this all very heartening.

|