This is the Archive site for Firedoglake. To go to the main site please click on the following link
http://www.firedoglake.com

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I'd Like to Publicly Admit I Was Wrong





When Tsunami waves hit Asia late last year and George W. Bush did nothing for two days before pledging a paltry $10 million in disaster relief, I accused him of not giving a flying fuck about the suffering of poor foreigners on the other side of the world.

After three days of golf, staged Medicare events and other random acts of mind-boggling indifference to the disaster whose death toll is still untold (although the WaPo now says it could be in the thousands), I have to say I was wrong. George W. Bush does not give a flying fuck about the suffering of anyone. Ever. Period.

There. It was hard, but I feel better now.

Update:: Well fuck me silly. The NYT and I actually agree on something:
Sacrifices may be necessary to make sure that all these things happen in an orderly, efficient way. But this administration has never been one to counsel sacrifice. And nothing about the president's demeanor yesterday - which seemed casual to the point of carelessness - suggested that he understood the depth of the current crisis.
We always wondered how egregious his pathalogical callousness would have to get before it became patently obvious to even the blind and willfully ignorant. Now we know.

|