This is the Archive site for Firedoglake. To go to the main site please click on the following link
http://www.firedoglake.com

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Coffee With Kobe Continues -- Without Kobe





Well it's been a busy week in blogtopia (yes, Skippy coined that term) and I haven't had time to catch up and write about it. So many bloggers to see, so little time.

A week ago I got together with Warren Bell from The Corner, about whom I'd said a bunch of unfounded stuff over at TBogg's place, because of course that's my favorite place to run my mouth. I'd read somewhere Warren's parents were agents, and I said he drove a Lamborghini. Warren wrote me a very nice email and let me know his parents were not in the business, and that he car was a Maserati.

What am I gonna do, ask him for W2s? I said I felt bad & took him to coffee, we had a very nice time, talked about the biz and mostly avoided politics, but he was a very nice guy who did not take himself as seriously as I'd assumed anyone at the Corner would.

What can I say, I'm an asshole.

Then Kevin Drum had his counter-programming moment to the Corner's $1,000 a plate dinner with Buckley. Everyone was welcome to show up at the Farmer's Market and didn't have to pay a dime. John from Crooks and Liars was there, as was David E., RJ Eskow, Greg from the Talent Show, SteveAudio & his wife Pam, Arianna & Michael Owen from the HuffPo, Joseph from the Martini Republic (sorry, no Alex this time) and probably others I am forgetting. I drank too much caffeine and talked too fast, but not for the last time.

Then Thursday I finally lured Digby into having coffee. What can you say? The suave, charming and brilliant Digby did not disappoint, we yammered non-stop for three hours and I would probably still be sitting there if I did not have a date to clean out my garage.

Then last night I ran into Johnny Wendell from Air America. He thoughtfully spared all of you and allowed me to indulge my Valerie Plame obsession at great length. Do you know how fucked up you have to be when a talk radio DJ can't get word in edgewise? Yeah, it's that bad.

And now I will leave you to guess where this bit of gossip came from, because I promised not to tell. But one of the above-mentioned folks called me this afternoon to say that according to sources within the Enquirer itself, the source for Bush's drinking story is -- an incredibly pissed-off, recently scapegoated head of a federal agency who thinks that BushCo. done him wrong.

Oh the long knives are coming out now, aren't they?

And yes, Kobe didn't attend any of these events for a variety of reasons, and boy is he miffed. If you read in the Enquirer I'm back on the sauce, you'll know the source.

|