This is the Archive site for Firedoglake. To go to the main site please click on the following link
http://www.firedoglake.com

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Remembering the Pope





The pope proceeded down the line, nodding and patting, and when he got to me I jerked into a kind of curtsy-bow and touched his right hand with my hands. Then I bent and covered his thick old knuckles with Chanel No. 23 Red Raspberry lipstick. I couldn't help it. I think I said, "Papa." - Peggy Noonan, Wall Street Journal

I am not now nor have I ever been a Catholic, so I will refrain from commenting on the death of the Pope and leave it to the faithful such as La Noonan and K.J. Lopez, recognizing that during his tenure he did many admirable things in addition to making some highly questionable decisions.

Feel free to leave your own comments on his passing. And note to John Huffman -- HaloScan has now expanded its word limit from 1,000 to 3,000 words. Just for you, I think.

Update 10:00 pm: Roy at Alicublog offers an excellent political recap of JPII's papacy, while John Huffman's thoughts in the comments section addresses the theological perspective, and MandT over at Adgita Diaries gives a personal response. All well worth reading.

|