This is the Archive site for Firedoglake. To go to the main site please click on the following link
http://www.firedoglake.com

Saturday, December 10, 2005

He-Men, Masters of the Universe



Of all the offensive vignettes about GWB I have read, TBogg reminds us of the one that just may be the worst. From -- of all people, Tucker Carlson, in 1999:
In the week before [Karla Faye Tucker's] execution, Bush says, Bianca Jagger and a number of other protesters came to Austin to demand clemency for Tucker. "Did you meet with any of them?" I ask.

Bush whips around and stares at me. "No, I didn't meet with any of them," he snaps, as though I've just asked the dumbest, most offensive question ever posed. "I didn't meet with Larry King either when he came down for it. I watched his interview with [Tucker], though. He asked her real difficult questions, like 'What would you say to Governor Bush?' "

"What was her answer?" I wonder.

"Please," Bush whimpers, his lips pursed in mock desperation, "don't kill me."

(When he sees Carlson's horrified reaction, Bush "immediately stops smirking": " 'It's tough stuff,' Bush says, suddenly somber, 'but my job is to enforce the law.'")
In California, Tookie Williams is scheduled to die on Monday night save for a decision made by another rich, entitled white man who is said to be concerned about the political ramifications of his actions. Meanwhile in LA they are worried about riots if Tookie is executed.

I wonder why.

(graphic by Monk at Inflatable Dartboard)

|